||Åbo Akademi Uni.
|PhD in Biology (Final grade: Pass with Honours)
||Åbo Akademi Uni.
||Univ. of Gothenburgh
||010904 - 200409
Publications in Scientific, peer-reviewed journals
- Kjernsmo, K. & Merilaita, S. 2013: Eyespots divert attacks by fish Proceedings of the Royal Society B (2013) 280: 20131458, http://dx.doi.org/10.1098/rspb.2013.1458
- Kjernsmo, K. & Merilaita, S. 2012: Background choice as an anti-predator strategy: the roles of background matching and visual complexity in the habitat choice of the least killifish. Proceedings of the Royal Society B, 279: 4192-4198, doi:10.1098/rspb.2012.1547
- I also recently had a paper featured in ScienceNOW
Manuscripts in prep.
- Kjernsmo, K. Grönholm, M. & Merilaita, S. How to divert an attack by a fish: eyespots and eyebars. Manuscript>
- Kjernsmo, K. & Merilaita, S. Intimidating eye-mimicry: eye-like patterns cause hesitation in attacking fish while non-eyelike patterns do not. Manuscript
- Grönholm, M., Kjernsmo, K. & Merilaita, S. Size and contrast increase the divertive effect of eyespots. Manuscript
- Kjernsmo, K. How to create a parasite-free population of three-spine sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus) through artificial fertilization. Manuscript
- Talk presented at the 20th "Bloodbath" departmental seminar of the Dept. of Zoology at Stockholm University, Sweden: 13th to 15th of November 2013.
- Talk presented at the "ISBE" (14th International Behavioural Ecology Congress), Lund, Sweden: 12-18th August 2012.
- Talk presented at the 18th "Bloodbath" departmental seminar of the Dept. of Zoology at Stockholm University, Sweden: 16th to 18th of November 2011.
- Talk presented at BIOINT annual meeting, Konnevesi, Finland. November 2011.
- Talk presented at the Coevolution Symposium, Jyväskylä, Finland. October 2011.
- Talk presented at "SEBDEM" Symposium in Ecology, Biological Diversity, Genetics, Environmental and Marine Biology, Turku, Finland: April 2011.
- Talk presented at the "ASAB winter meeting", London, UK: 1st-4th December 2010.
- Talk and poster presented at the "ISBE" (13th International Behavioural Ecology Congress), Perth, Australia: 26 th sept- 1st oct. 2010.
- Talk presented at the 16th "Bloodbath" departmental seminar of the Dept. of Zoology at Stockholm University, Sweden: 11th to 13th of November 2009.
- Talk presented at the "SEBDEM" conference in Turku, Finland: 18th to 19th of March 2009.
- Kjernsmo,K. & Merilaita, S. 2010: Background choice as an anti-predator strategy: preference between visually complex and matching backgrounds in the least killifish. (Poster) Presented at: The 13th International Behavioural Ecology Conference (ISBE), Perth, Australia View poster as PDF
- Kjernsmo,K., Adriaenssens, B. & Johnsson, J. 2008: Preference for red prey in female, but not male domesticated guppies (Poecilia reticulata). (Poster) Presented at: The Third European Conference of Poeciliid Biologists, Chioggia, Italy
Popular and School talks
- Stjerneskolan, Torsby, Sweden (Mars, 2012)
- Guest lecturer: Grundkurs i Biologi B, Åbo Akademi University (October, 2013)
- Guest lecturer: Grundkurs i Biologi B, Åbo Akademi University (October, 2012)
- Teacher: Behavioural Ecology of Protective Colouration (Skyddsfärgningens beteendeekologi, 222045.0), Åbo Akademi University (2012)
- Guest lecturer: Grundkurs i Biologi B, Åbo Akademi University (October, 2011)
- Guest lecturer: Ekologisk analys, Åbo Akademi University (April, 2011)
MSc and BSc theses supervised
- Anna Bäckström (MSc)
- Joacim Näslund (MSc)
- Annika Wiksten (MSc)
- Cecilia Wikström (MSc)
- Miranda Grönholm (MSc)
- Patrik Korn (BSc)
- J-watcher (version 1.0, Daniel T. Blumstein et al., University of California) (Observer software)
- Microsoft Office Excel (2003 and 2007)
- SPSS (version 14.0 and 17.0) (Statistical programme)
- R (Open source freeware, Statistical programme)
Laboratory Animal handling
I am authorized by the State Provincial Office of Southern Finland to perform animal experiments
Handling fishes (excellent) both tropical and cold water species
Species used in previous/current experiments:
- Guppies (Poecilia reticulata)
- The Least Killifish (Heterandria formosa)
- Cichlids (Amatitlania siquia)
- Sticklebacks (Gasterosteus aculeatus)
- Brown trout (Salmo trutta)
Post graduate Courses
- Licentiate exam in Biology organised by Åbo Akademi Univ. 2013
- Scientific writing organised by BIOINT graduate school, University of Jyväskylä, November 2012
- Behavioural an Evolutionary Ecology Journal Club organised by Åbo Akademi Univ. 2012
- Fish behaviour, organised by the Department of Zoology, Universify of Gothenburg, l-26 March 2010
- Laboratory Animal Science with emphasis on fish (theoretical and practical parts)organised by the
Department of Zoology, University of Stockholm and Veterinary Resources, Karolinska Institutet spring 2009
- Introduction to R in Biostatistics', organised by the Department of Zoology, Universify of Gothenburg, Feb-March 2009